Brandenburger Tor - Brandenburg Gate

Potsdam‘s Brandenburg Gate (© Ulf Böttcher/PTM)
Potsdam‘s Brandenburg Gate (© Ulf Böttcher/PTM)
brandenburgertor

The Brandenburger Tor is situated at the western end of the Brandenburger Straße, which lies in a straight line from the Church of St. Peter and Paul at the opposite end. The gate, which resembles a Roman triumphal arch, had two architects and therefore also reveals two facades. By order of Frederick II, Karl von Gontard designed the side facing the inner city, and his pupil, Georg Christian Unger, the side facing what was then fields. The construction was completed in 1770.

Address:
On Luisenplatz square / at the western end of Brandenburger Straße
Potsdam